Isla Mujeres is an island simply 13 km off the coast of Cancun. It has stunning seashores and cliffs, good locations to go snorkeling by yourself, gives plenty of nightlife and in addition historic websites and Mayan ruins. All this makes it an ideal day journey from Cancun, though in case you have slightly extra time, we advocate staying no less than one or two nights and exploring the island extra totally. So to manage your go to by yourself, we convey you this information to Isla Mujeres, with helpful info on what to see and do and the very best factors of curiosity, easy methods to get there by yourself and on tour, the place to eat and easy methods to get across the island.
What to see and do on Isla Mujeres
- Like each different island, Isla Mujeres gives a couple of nice seashores to take pleasure in a day of swimming and sunbathing. These are the very best seashores on Isla Mujeres:
– Playa Norte: is taken into account the most effective seashores on this space of Mexico. We have been slightly upset, it’s true that the postcard of crystal clear waters, white sand, and coconut timber fulfills it completely, however the variety of folks and the resorts a couple of meters away from the coast take away slightly of its allure. Nonetheless, it’s price a go to, particularly at sundown. Entry is free.
– Playa Lancheros: This is a reasonably large seaside, the place you will see a number of golf equipment with eating places and bars. Additionally it is normally fairly crowded, so we advocate it to come back for a drink, or to eat. We made it within the restaurant Playa Lancheros / La casa el Tikinxik, ceviches for 180 pesos (enormous), and the fish Tikinxikla specialty of the home for 290 pesos for 2 folks (it takes about 40 minutes to be served). Entry to the seaside is free.
– Playa Garrafón: subsequent to the nationwide park with that title (the place they’ve arrange zip traces and different journey actions) is the Garrafón de Castilla seaside membership. To make use of its amenities, together with solar loungers, the worth is 4.5 USD per particular person. The seaside is sort of small and the sand shouldn’t be that high-quality, however if you enter the water you may be amazed. It’s a brilliant cool spot to snorkel, with lots of of fish proper subsequent to the sand! When you don’t have your glasses, right here they hire them for two USD.
- On the opposite facet of the island, in its farthest half from the village, is the Punta Sur. Right here you possibly can admire a fantastic view of the cliffs, there may be additionally a statue of an iguana and a lighthouse. If the perfect is to see the sundown from Playa Norte, the place the thought is to come back at dawn.
- However probably the most fascinating a part of this place is the park with 23 sculptures, and the ruins of the Mayan temple to Ixchel, the goddess of the moon and fertility, to whom the island is devoted. To be able to entry each the park and the ruins, an entrance price of 30 pesos is required.
- When you’ve rented your individual transport, you possibly can’t miss the highway journey on the East Coast. For us, it’s the most stunning panoramic highway of Isla Mujeres. It additionally has a bicycle path the place you possibly can stroll quietly a couple of meters from the cliff.
- You can’t go away the island with out taking an image with the well-known coloured letters of ISLA MUJERES. This time it comes with a prize, as on the wall proper in entrance of it there’s a very cool and large mural.
The way to get to Isla Mujeres
If you’re going to go from Cancun airport the perfect is to make use of a non-public transportation firm from Cancun to the ferry station, it’s the most beneficial approach, nonetheless, you may as well hire a automotive in Cancun, some firms like Metropolis Automobile Rental, promote you ferry tickets upfront from the second you hire your automotive, extra info right here.
The ferry takes about 20 minutes, the frequency could be very excessive, each half-hour, virtually nothing strikes, and leaves you on the important port of Isla Mujeres, within the middle of city. From there to Playa Norte, for instance, is a 10-minute stroll.
When you want to go to Isla Mujeres on an organized day tour from Cancun, there are a number of choices: we advocate a catamaran journey with lunch and snorkeling, or an tour to Isla Mujeres and Isla Contoy.
The way to get round on Isla Mujeres
Though the middle of the village is small and you’ll transfer round completely on foot, we strongly advocate renting your individual technique of transport to find different extra charming locations.
The most common approach is to hire a golf cart. Sure, identical to you hear it. Right here virtually everybody strikes round in a cart, together with the locals! There are many retailers the place you possibly can hire one and virtually all of them have the identical costs. Regular costs are 800-900 pesos for renting from 9 am to five pm. In addition they hire by the hour (not very fascinating for those who keep on the island) and for twenty-four hours (about 1000 pesos). In excessive season these costs normally go up a bit. We haggled with a person who was in entrance of the port and received 9 to 19 for 700 pesos. They ask to your driver’s license out of your nation (you don’t have to go away your license) and it’s essential that they provide you a contract, with the telephone quantity in case one thing occurs. You don’t must pay for the gasoline. The vehicles are normally restricted, so you will notice that the velocity is to not be shaken, however they do it for security. One other fascinating truth is that it has lights, in case you need to go see the dawn in Punta Sur. Oh, and be careful for the highlights!
An alternative choice is to hire a motorcycle. The worth for an entire day from 9 to 17 is about 350 pesos. They ask for the bike license, no less than within the locations we ask.
The third different is the taxi, they’re mounted charges relying on the space, however we don’t know the costs. Prior to now there was a bus that went across the island, sadly, it has been eliminated and the one one which circulates now’s one for native staff.